M.A.C, short for Makeup Art Cosmetics is an edgy and savvy street style cosmetics manufacturer, who stands firmly for all things with raw passion and expressive nature.
Where it all began:
So you probably won’t believe us when we tell you that one of the world’s most extravagant cosmetics companies was created in a kitchen in Toronto.
M.A.C Cosmetics was found when professional make-up artist and photographer, Frank Toskan and beauty salon owner, Frank Angelo got frustrated with the lack of make-up colours that would shoot well in photography projects. The two then decided to start their own make up line to fulfil their professional needs, by cooking up the cosmetics in their own kitchen and selling them from the beauty salon. They started miniscule with only limited costumers: fellow make-up artists, models and photographers. Slowly through word of mouth marketing their popularity grew, and finally in March 1984 they launched their official make up line.
While other companies positioned themselves as skincare companies, M.A.C established itself as the ultimate colour authority from the very beginning. One of the most defining moments in M.A.C ’s success was when cabaret star Madonna wore their bright red lipstick, followed by a photograph of her in a M.A.C Cosmetics t-shirt.That’s right, The Madonna. The Company was known in the industry for their street savvy and glamourous style. It honours individuality and self-expression above all else, which supports the company’s modern sleek outlook on marketing.
Their irreverent attitude and hip approach was noted by Estee Lauder Companies which purchased a percentage of the company, extending the M.A.C brand globally. Later on Estee Lauder purchased the whole company, because who wouldn’t? With President John Demsey the company completed the link between fashion, beauty and culture. Moving forward the company continues to aim towards customer satisfaction, constantly upgrading new and existing products. They aim to please their target market which varies from professional make up artists to the everyday woman.
They Believe in:
- Makeup authority – M·A·C artist’s is known for being well trained, trendy and informative when it comes to products and make-up expertise.
- Individuality – The Company supports diversity through their products, artists and consumers. It is easily noted through their extensive product line which meets the needs of all individual consumers.
- Community – M·A·C is a community of artists who works together to support the company’s vision through word of mouth and social media marketing.
- Trend setting – M·A·C is one of the fashion trend leaders with collaborations with pop culture icons and backstage presence in fashion shows worldwide. Their artists reflect their modern and hip style and share trends with their customers.
- Social responsibility – This brand believes in giving back and supports that notion with social conscious campaigns such the M·A·C Aids Fund, Viva Glam, Employee volunteer programs and Back to M·A·C.
Products they offer:
That product you saw on that Youtube Tutorial on how to get the perfect make up look? Yeah M.A.C probably has it. They provide a very wide product range, varying from Make-Up, Skincare and Tools.
- Eyes: Eyeshadow, Eyeliner, Mascara, Brow Kits, Lash Kits, Primer and Eye Kits and Bags.
- Lips: Lipstick, Lipglass, Lip Pencil, Care and Primer.
- Face: Foundation, Powder, Cheek, Concealer, Primer and Multi-Use.
- Nails: A range of Qutex.
- Make Up Brushes
Viva Glam Campaign:
Not just in it for the money…
The founders of the company worked together with the Artists to create the M.A.C Aids Fund in 1994, to make a difference with the growing epidemic that is HIV/AIDS. It started with the VIVA GLAM lipstick, a bright red lipstick to raise money and awareness for AIDS, with 100% of the proceeds going towards men, women and children affected by the disease.
M.A.C then moved forward with their outspoken and savvy attitude to gather alternative and influential spokespersons who reflect diversity in how they invent themselves. Drag Icon RuPaul was the first spokesperson for this campaign, followed by many celebs such as Lady Gaga, Elton John, Cyndi Lauper, Nicki Minaj, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus and most recently Ariana Grande.
The Company uses an Integrated Brand Promotion (IBP) approach with every spokesperson released. With Ariana Grande as their newest spokesperson, they had the artist herself release statements on her personal social media pages. Followed by Advertisements in magazines, and Billboards endorsing her as their new “M.A.C Girl”. There was also Youtube Video’s released and she had to do interviews with major TV shows and discuss her endorsement with M.A.C and the Viva Glam AIDS Campaign. Their lead promotion approach was through social media, with the combined forces of Ariana Grande and M.A.C’s own social media platforms, such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter eg.
Connect with M.A.C Cosmetics VIA their website at www.maccosmetics.co.za/ or VIA their social media platforms.